- 2 litres Jersey Gold Top Milk
- 1 kg Carrots, finely grated
- 175g Sugar
- 4 Green Cardamoms, finely ground
- 1 tsp Saffron Strands
- 3 tbsp Ground Almonds
- 3 tbsp Pistachio Nuts, finely chopped
- 3 Sheets of Silver or Gold Leaf (optional)
- Place the milk into a heavy-based pan and bring it to the boil.
- Lower the heat to medium and add the carrots, sugar, saffron and cardamom.
- Stirring occasionally, cook until all the liquid has evaporated. This should take about an hour and a half.
- Once the liquid has reduced, lower the heat to a low flame, stirring constantly, as the mixture tends to bubble up and keep cooking until the carrot mixture becomes slightly darker orange. Add the ground almonds and chopped pistachios and stir in.
- Allow to cool slightly and place in a serving dish. Decorate with silver leaf. Gajar Halwa can be served either hot or cold.
- If you don't have any silver leaf, you can decorate with some chopped pistachio nuts.
- The halva freezes well also.
- I use a coffee mill to grind the green cardamoms and nuts, which I keep only for desserts.