- 200g Kale, very finely shredded or grated with the stalks removed
- 300g Red Cabbage, shredded or finely grated
- 2 Carrots, shredded or finely grated
- 2 Tomatoes, chopped into small dice
- 1 Red Pepper, chopped into small dice
- 2 Ripe Avocados, peeled and chopped
- 110g Paneer, chopped into small cubes (Optional)
- 1 400g Can Kala Channa (Dark Brown Chickpeas), drained and rinsed
- 1 Lemon
- 1 Lime
- 50g Coriander, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Green Chilli, finely chopped
- 1 Handful of Pine Nuts
- Place the very finely chopped kale into a large bowl.
- Add the red cabbage, carrots, tomatoes, red pepper, avocados, paneer, chickpeas, pine nuts and the coriander.
- Mix everything together and add the juice of the lemon and the lime.
- Add the salt and the green chilli and mix well into the salad.
- Allow the salad to rest in the fridge for at least thirty minutes, allowing the flavours to develop and the citrus to work its magic on the kale before serving.
- You can toast the pine nuts in a dry frypan on a low to medium heat for a couple of minutes. Just keep an eye on them as they burn very quickly.
- I sometimes chop up leftover homemade polenta into cubes and shallow fry until crispy. Sprinkle over the salad just before serving.
- Cans of kala channa (dark brown chickpeas) are available from some supermarkets, however if you can't get these, just use a can of the regular chickpeas. The kala channa has a much nuttier flavour than regular chickpeas.